ResMon Cube is empty

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Hi,

First of all - thanks for creating this cube. It really seems like a good solution for monitoring the SSAS server.

I created the ResMon cube on my server.  I processed it a few times (some of the times using the ProcessResMon.xmla), but when I browse the cube there's no data. All the measure groups partitions are indeed empty (estimated size 0), although rows do return when I run the DMV queries. The dimensions do have members and the Sessions cube is filled with data as well.

I should mention that I changed the solution a little bit - since the MemoryObject dim wouldn't process due to duplicate key error, I added the OBJECT_TIME_CREATED to its key. ( I figured that even if this causes a problem it should be limited to the memory-usage measureGroup).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tomer

Dec 28, 2011 at 4:51 PM

I'm not sure what could be the problem. Feel free to post an issue under the issue tracker and attach the XMLA script for your modified cube.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:59 AM

I found the problem - the connection between the dims and the MeasureGroup are based on the processing-time "minute-wise". Perhaps because there are may cubes in my server, the different object dimension take more than a minute to process. Let's say the processing start at 14:26 -  the dimensino key contains an object with the 14:26 key, but the MG runs 2 minutes later so the same object in the MG has the key of 14:28, and they don't match. I chaged the connection to be "hour-wise" and it fixed the issue ( as long as I don't start the process at 14:59 :).

BTW - does the object activity DMV contain data for each object since its creation? (i.e- the number of agg. hits is the total number an  aggregation was hit since the object was created?)

thanks

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Glad you found a workaround that works for you. I have definitely seen the problem you mention before.

I believe the object activity DMV just shows activity since the last time the SSAS service started.