How do I contribute back to CodePlex?

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Hi, I downloaded the source code for ASTrace and have made what I think is a useful modification: allowing you to specify the name of the service so a single server can host multiple instances of the service.

How can I get started to contribute?

Thanks,
Russell
Developer
Jun 14, 2013 at 3:27 AM
Someone else beat you to it. It's on my plate to get his changes integrated and published here.

If you want to list the high level features you implemented, feel free. I can make sure the other codebase has you covered. Or if you want to click furmangg and contact me, we can exchange emails and email your code.

Thanks!
Jun 14, 2013 at 4:13 PM
The change is noticed when you execute install.cmd. When this is executed ASTrace.exe will now prompt the user for the name of the service they would like to use to run AS Trace. The name of the service is saved in a local service.config file locally so the uninstall.cmd will work correctly. Otherwise, it would prompt you again for the service to uninstall. After you enter the name of the service it proceeds to install AS Trace using the name you specified. In this manner, multiple instances can be installed on the same machine.

Is this what you were looking for?
Developer
Jun 14, 2013 at 5:19 PM
Ah. I misunderstood.

Another user coded up a change so that one ASTrace instance can monitor multiple SSAS instances. That seems like a better approach. Do you agree?
Jun 14, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Yea, I guess that would be better. One instance to rule them all. When will that version be available?
Developer
Jun 27, 2013 at 6:04 AM
Thanks for your patience. I've just uploaded the new source code and the new compiled binaries for ASTrace. It supports tracing against multiple SSAS instances all from one ASTrace service.

Please give it a try and let me know if you run into any issues.
Jun 27, 2013 at 5:58 PM
I started a new discussion for the feature of mutli-instance support: https://sqlsrvanalysissrvcs.codeplex.com/discussions/448438