New version of ASTrace 2012

Jun 27, 2013 at 6:56 PM
We are happy to get new version released for ASTrace, multi-instance support is the feature we're looking for, it helps consolidation definitely.

by reading through the document, I have a question about the new option of RestartRetries: If monitoring multiple SSAS instances, when even one instance exceeds the allowed number of retries, the whole ASTrace instance will would be stopped.

should we get over this? we may not say it's really multi-instance supported if one of target failed which affects others.

thanks,
Rock
Coordinator
Jun 27, 2013 at 10:04 PM
I did think about this scenario. I figured that if logging on once instance is failing, stopping the service will alert the administrator something is wrong.

If you want to continue logging the other servers I suppose you can set the RestartRetries to 200000000 and be prepared for a very large ASTraceService.log file.

How is that? How would you prefer it to be handled?
Jun 27, 2013 at 10:29 PM
given we set a big retry number, do we have a way to know if all monitored instance are good? or which instance is already failed?

I'm thinking if there's a table out there to query to answer above questions.

by the way, maybe it's another idea to keep all app configurable options in a control table in database other than config file in the same folder with ASTrace binary, it's ok with either way.
Coordinator
Jun 28, 2013 at 1:49 PM
If you set a large retry number and a retry every 5 minutes, you will see an error in the ASTraceService.log every 5 minutes for any instances which are currently failing.

That's a good idea publishing status to a SQL Table. Maybe in a future version.